Thursday, September 19, 2013

Kimchi, What?!

I made my first jar of kimchi ever today! I feel somehow redeemed for my lack of Korean speaking skills. It was challenging. There's a reason why Korean ladies make this stuff on the floor. My back was a little achy after standing for hours. I'm sure the prep time will decrease once I have the process down, but I need to find a kimchi circle or bee. So much easier with others in your village working together and sharing the bounty. 

Making kimchi also made me think about food in a totally new way. The whole scientific aspect of fermenting is a little crazy. I don't understand how it happens at all. I'll have to research it and get back to you. And WTF sweet rice flour paste? I kind of vaguely remember that it's one of the ingredients (some people don't use it) but how does that work? The idea that someone at some point thought it was a good idea to put all these ingredients together in this particular way is astounding.

Now for the proof. Drum roll please:


Sexy, ain't it? That is a whole lot of kimchi. Let me know if you want some!

1 comment:

kat said...

I like Kim Chi!